[ltp] Rebooting when going to hibernation

de Paulou Massat Pierre linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 May 2008 00:27:29 +0200

Hi,

Thank you for answering.

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 8:01 AM, Dmitry E. Mikhailov
<sexandvodka@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please first try to check if the pure hibernation works.
> First, boot to the single user commandline mode by adding 'single' (with no
> quotes) to the kernel  paremeters list in GRUB or your bootloader.

I did it and it went to hibernation, and then reboot. So I assume the
problem is not with the kernel.

> If it would not help, the problem is in the kernel. Let's take a look at the
> contents of...
> [root@ibm power]# cat /sys/power/disk
> I get that:
> [platform] test testproc shutdown reboot

I get that too.

> Brackets show active mode. Platform = shut down via firmware. Shutdown = just
> shut down. Reboot = just reboot. If your choice is PLATFORM, try changing it
> to SHUTDOWN. It may (or may not) indicate buggy firmware.

I changed to "shutdown" and went to hibernation with :
echo -n "disk" > /sys/power/state

Everything went fine. The laptop went to hibernation and didn't
reboot. So I boot and things went well as they should. Now I have to
find out how to make it persistent (or to which script should I add
the last echo).

Thanks for the help, my problem is solved, and as you said before, it
could be a buggy firmware.

Pierre Massat.