[ltp] External video on T61

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 May 2008 17:19:32 -0700

On Mon, 19 May 2008 16:55:27 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> dijo:

> On Mon, 19 May 2008 17:21:08 -0500
> Pablo Vera <pvera@vercan.com> dijo:
>
> > As suggested on the mail by Christoph, you should use nvidia-settings.
> >
> > Open a console and type: sudo nvidia-settings, provide your password and
> > select "X Server Display Configuration" on the left panel.  From there
> > you will see that the driver detected both the internal LCD panel and
> > the external projector, but the projector is disabled.  Click on the
> > projector, enable it and set it up as you see fit.  Finally press: "Save
> > to X Configuration File" and you are done.  Log off and re-login and it
> > should work.
>
> Thanks guys,
>
> I managed to get it to work using nvidia-settings, except the projector
> is displaying on the screen only about 1/4 of my screen. My screen is
> 1680 x 1050. In "X Server Display Configuration" the projecter options
> are Auto, 320 x 240 and 640 x 480. I need to be able to set it higher
> in order to capture all the screen of my laptop, but the choice is not
> there.
>
> Making progress, though. Further suggestions needed.

Further difficulties.

There are too many options that I don't understand on the
nvidia-settings configuration dialog box for X Server Display
Configuration. What is "clone"? What is "twinview"? What is "separate X
server"?

I tried several options, some of which required restarting X. I did so
with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. Half the time when I logged back in the screen
came up without my Gnome panel settings. Very strange. I don't
understand how I am going to cram my 1680 x 1050 display onto a
projector that will only do 640 x 480.

I ended up disabling the external projector for now. I have my Gnome
panel settings back. Until I figure this out better I am going to leave
it alone. I don't understand Linux that well and I can't afford to
screw the computer up with a project due in two weeks.

If someone can suggest a tutorial on using external video with a T61
with Linux, maybe I can give it another shot later.