[ltp] Re: External video on T61

Shannon McMackin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 May 2008 23:23:38 -0400

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Mon, 19 May 2008 16:55:27 -0700
> John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> dijo:
>
>> On Mon, 19 May 2008 17:21:08 -0500
>> Pablo Vera <pvera@vercan.com> dijo:
>>
>>> As suggested on the mail by Christoph, you should use nvidia-settings.
>>>
>>> Open a console and type: sudo nvidia-settings, provide your password and
>>> select "X Server Display Configuration" on the left panel.  From there
>>> you will see that the driver detected both the internal LCD panel and
>>> the external projector, but the projector is disabled.  Click on the
>>> projector, enable it and set it up as you see fit.  Finally press: "Save
>>> to X Configuration File" and you are done.  Log off and re-login and it
>>> should work.
>> Thanks guys,
>>
>> I managed to get it to work using nvidia-settings, except the projector
>> is displaying on the screen only about 1/4 of my screen. My screen is
>> 1680 x 1050. In "X Server Display Configuration" the projecter options
>> are Auto, 320 x 240 and 640 x 480. I need to be able to set it higher
>> in order to capture all the screen of my laptop, but the choice is not
>> there.
>>
>> Making progress, though. Further suggestions needed.
>
> Further difficulties.
>
> There are too many options that I don't understand on the
> nvidia-settings configuration dialog box for X Server Display
> Configuration. What is "clone"? What is "twinview"? What is "separate X
> server"?
>
> I tried several options, some of which required restarting X. I did so
> with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. Half the time when I logged back in the screen
> came up without my Gnome panel settings. Very strange. I don't
> understand how I am going to cram my 1680 x 1050 display onto a
> projector that will only do 640 x 480.
>
> I ended up disabling the external projector for now. I have my Gnome
> panel settings back. Until I figure this out better I am going to leave
> it alone. I don't understand Linux that well and I can't afford to
> screw the computer up with a project due in two weeks.
>
> If someone can suggest a tutorial on using external video with a T61
> with Linux, maybe I can give it another shot later.
Essentially the way it works is that there's a total amount of virtual
screen space for xrandr or other tools to use.  I have the Intel chip
and it has a limit of 2048x2048.  What I choose to do is clone my LCD at
1024x768 on to the video port at 1024x768.  Works great and I can use
the standard Ubuntu resolution settings to do this.