[ltp] Battery croaked

Dmitry E. Mikhailov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 May 2008 12:53:11 +0600

> As if I don't have enough problems today at the university I tried to
> turn on my T61 and nada. I would boot only with the power cord. The
> battery was completely flat. I had used it on battery power earlier in
> the day for 15-20 minutes with a full charge, then shut it down.
>
> Evidently the nine-cell replacement battery that I bought on eBay has
> croaked. I still have the six-cell that came with the T61. Does anyone
> have any suggestions for a place to get a nine-cell that will work for
> more than a few months without dying?

Short answer: NOWHERE

Long answer: Spare battery market is flooded with second-grade (typically
asian made) battery cells which simply do not perform as good as original
(but are cheap). If you manage to get *original* battery, you're good. It
could cost about US$150+.

Batteries are repairable. There's a controller and cells, 3.7V each. You can
replace died cell(-s) and be happy. You can get a cell out of another battery
or in a repair shop. Be warned that Li-Ion cells are not freely sold 'as is'
compared to Ni-Cd batteries. That's because improper use of a Li-Ion cell
could result in severe burns and\or explosion. Lithium is an extremely
aggressive metal. It violently burns in open air. You are warned.Don't blame
me if you're hurt.

	Best regards, Dmitry.