[ltp] External video on T61

Micha linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 May 2008 10:40:27 +0300

On Mon, 19 May 2008 16:55:27 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 May 2008 17:21:08 -0500
> Pablo Vera <pvera@vercan.com> dijo:
>
> > As suggested on the mail by Christoph, you should use nvidia-settings.
> >
> > Open a console and type: sudo nvidia-settings, provide your password and
> > select "X Server Display Configuration" on the left panel.  From there
> > you will see that the driver detected both the internal LCD panel and
> > the external projector, but the projector is disabled.  Click on the
> > projector, enable it and set it up as you see fit.  Finally press: "Save
> > to X Configuration File" and you are done.  Log off and re-login and it
> > should work.
>
> Thanks guys,
>
> I managed to get it to work using nvidia-settings, except the projector
> is displaying on the screen only about 1/4 of my screen. My screen is
> 1680 x 1050. In "X Server Display Configuration" the projecter options
> are Auto, 320 x 240 and 640 x 480. I need to be able to set it higher
> in order to capture all the screen of my laptop, but the choice is not
> there.

The only option that worked for me at the time was to set the external screen
to 640x480 and disable the internal screen using nvidia settings. Don't save to
xorg.conf or you will have trouble later on.

This will set your desktop to 640x480 and will work with the projector. Setting
the resolution back can be a pain so if  you didn't save the settings you can
just restart x.