[ltp] Re: hdaps-protect-patch for 2.6.25

Dmitry E. Mikhailov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 22 May 2008 17:19:31 +0600

> > I got exactly that rc9 patch.
> > http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/HDAPS#Disk_head_parking
> >  And it applied cleanly. The point is it still (even with fix) hanging my
> > laptop.
>
> Can you reproduce those hangs reliably and easily? If so, you could
> perhaps describe more precisely under which circumstances they occur.
> Also, could you please test a kernel only patched with the disk-protect
> patch [1] and the small fix [2], i.e., without any additional patches
> (undervolting etc.).
>
> Regards,
>
> Elias

Now I write this message on 2.6.25 with hdaps_protect and fix. Strange enough,
it didn't freeze. When I tried this before, after the heads were parked, they
were never back operating.

The following patches were applied:

[root@ibm ~]# ls -1 /home/tn/Kernel/Patches/2.6.25
hdaps-protect.patch
hdaps-workaround.patch
tp_smapi-0.37-for-2.6.25.patch
undervolt-centrino.patch

tp_smapi is official and it seems to me it's fairly harmless to disk
subsystem.

undervolt-centrino if unofficial because there's no official patch of this
kind for 2.6.25. But the voltages itself are throughly tested to be ok. I
usually get about a month of uptime on this laptop with kernel 2.6.23.16 with
hdaps_protect, untervolt-centrino, tp_smapi, HiResTimers-5 and recently
tuxonice ... and something else I may forget.

Are there any tests to check if hdaps_protect is ok? As I read online, it may
freeze randomly.

Best regards, Dmitry