[ltp] Re: hdaps-protect-patch for 2.6.25

Elias Oltmanns linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 22 May 2008 14:16:09 +0200

"Dmitry E. Mikhailov" <sexandvodka@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Now I write this message on 2.6.25 with hdaps_protect and fix. Strange enough,
> it didn't freeze. When I tried this before, after the heads were parked, they
> were never back operating.
>
> The following patches were applied:
>
> [root@ibm ~]# ls -1 /home/tn/Kernel/Patches/2.6.25
> hdaps-protect.patch
> hdaps-workaround.patch
> tp_smapi-0.37-for-2.6.25.patch

Yes, that's what I'm running on my system.

> undervolt-centrino.patch

Don't know about that one.

> tp_smapi is official and it seems to me it's fairly harmless to disk
> subsystem.
>
> undervolt-centrino if unofficial because there's no official patch of this
> kind for 2.6.25. But the voltages itself are throughly tested to be ok. I
> usually get about a month of uptime on this laptop with kernel 2.6.23.16 with
> hdaps_protect, untervolt-centrino, tp_smapi, HiResTimers-5 and recently
> tuxonice ... and something else I may forget.

Well, this doesn't make it easier to associate a given problem with any
particular of those patches. You probably have to test various
combinations in order to make sure.

> Are there any tests to check if hdaps_protect is ok? As I read online, it may
> freeze randomly.

It doesn't freeze randomly for me. You can request head parking manually
by doing something like

# echo 3 > /sys/block/sda/queue/protect

If you do

# echo "8 4 1 8" > /proc/sys/kernel/printk

beforehand, you'll see all kernel messages on the console and may catch
something interesting in case this command should freeze your machine.

Hope that helps,

Elias