[ltp] Is 3D possible on FireGL 5250?

Thu, 22 May 2008 13:56:44 -0400

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> wrote:
> I'm just getting more confused.  I have a T60p with the FireGL 5250.
> I was running Gutsy and had Compiz, and good 3D and full screen video
> performance.  (Just no sleep or hibernate.)
>
> On Gutsy I had installed xserver-xgl and the fglrx driver off the ATI
> site.
>
> I did a clean install of Hardy.
>
> I'm currently using the Radeon driver.  Works great for sleep.  Can't
> run 3D games or full screen video with Mplayer.
>
> Yesterday I tried to install the fglrx driver using EnvyNG and that fails
> saying DRI could not be initialized[1] and I get a blank screen.
>
> I was able to find posts from others with the blank screen, and other
> posts were people stated the current ATI driver doesn't work on this
> card, although I have no idea if that's true.
>
> I looked at the RadeonHD driver, but no 3D support there so I didn't
> install.
>

> What are other's with this hardware using for their driver?  Do I need
> to revert to an older version of the fglrx driver that works with
> xserver-xgl?

The radeon driver in ati git has full support this chip (Xv, xrandr,
EXA, etc.) and there is experimental 3D support in the r500-support
branch of the mesa tree (compiz, quake, etc. work more or less).

what you'll need:
xf86-video-ati from git master
drm from git master
r500-support branch of mesa from git
xserver from git (due to mesa requirements)

there are some experimental packages available for ubuntu/debian here:
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9951
but I'm not sure how up to date they are.  Other than that, you'll
have to build it yourself.

Alex