[ltp] Is 3D possible on FireGL 5250?

Phil Shotton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 23 May 2008 22:46:08 +0100

I've grabbed the experimental packages Alex mentions below (see
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9951) and they seem to
work fine. glxgears gives around 2,000 fps (was about 850 without 3d
acceleration).

Haven't tried compiz or anything, but general use everything feels just
a bit snappier. Suspend to ram works fine, but only if I undock first
(this was also a problem with earlier driver and is probably nothing to
do with the video drivers).

I'm still getting the occasional hang that I've reported before, but
being careful with the docking seems to reduce the frequency. I'd
definitely recommend the recent ati drivers, including the experimental
mesa/drm 3d stuff.

Phil