[ltp] Re: no sound from mic fc9

Wolf-Jobst Siedler linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 27 May 2008 18:22:45 +0800

Dan Sawyer wrote:
> This is a mic (sound) config issue, it all worked on fc7. (fc8 was a
> bust, but 9 is almost working)
> Sound from the mic is heard from the speakers.
> arecord does not record sound.
> skype does not pickup mic sound.

I ran into the same issue on my wife's Acer Aspire 5051 when installing
Fedora 9.
First thing I did was to disable pulseaudio. There is a thread on the
Ubuntu forums on this, but I don't have the link with me (travelling now).

Then I started Skype from a terminal window. IIRC, there came error
message(s) about sound-in failure(s) as soon as I called the Skype test
user.

Following another posting from the Ubuntu forums, I removed the Skype
RPM and installed a Skype build statically linked with OSS (available on
the Skype download page). One reboot later, Skype test calls worked.

However, I need to point out that I haven't yet tested it beyond that
due to lack of time.

If there is a better solution, I would love to hear about it.

Regards,
Wolf