[ltp] Is 3D possible on FireGL 5250?

Bill Moseley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 27 May 2008 13:51:38 -0700

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:21:29AM -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:

> Xgl was a nested Xserver that ran as a GL app in the main xserver.
> The main purpose of it was to allow hw accelerated indirect gl on
> drivers that did not support it (older version of fglrx).  You don't
> need it in this case.  As to why compiz isn't working, you may have to
> white list your card (ubuntu), or you may need a newer version of the
> r500 3D driver (I'm not sure how often the packages are updated).

> What sort of problem are you having?

You mean other than not have much of a clue about this stuff? ;)

Well, just that trying to enable "Visual effects" (Compiz) fails.

When I try to enable it I get this in .xsession-errors:

    There is no available graphics driver for your system which
    supports the composite extension.
    Checking for Xgl: not present.
    Found laptop using ati driver.
    aborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/metacity

which is why I was asking about xserver-xgl.

My xorg log is at:

    http://hank.org/Xorg.0.log

But I'm wondering if this is not the problem:

(EE) AIGLX error: dlsym for __driCreateNewScreen_20050727 failed (/usr/lib/dri/r300_dri.so: undefined symbol: __driCreateNewScreen_20050727)
(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

Which I assume might also be why I'm seeing slower glxgears number
than I have in the past (2100fps vs over 400fps with fglrx).

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org