[ltp] Is 3D possible on FireGL 5250?

Tue, 27 May 2008 17:21:46 -0400

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:21:29AM -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
>>
>> Xgl was a nested Xserver that ran as a GL app in the main xserver.
>> The main purpose of it was to allow hw accelerated indirect gl on
>> drivers that did not support it (older version of fglrx).  You don't
>> need it in this case.  As to why compiz isn't working, you may have to
>> white list your card (ubuntu), or you may need a newer version of the
>> r500 3D driver (I'm not sure how often the packages are updated).
>
>> What sort of problem are you having?
>
> You mean other than not have much of a clue about this stuff? ;)
>
> Well, just that trying to enable "Visual effects" (Compiz) fails.
>
> When I try to enable it I get this in .xsession-errors:
>
>    There is no available graphics driver for your system which
>    supports the composite extension.
>    Checking for Xgl: not present.
>    Found laptop using ati driver.
>    aborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/metacity

this is probably related to the issue below or the fact that ubuntu
uses a whilelist for compiz and your card may not be on it by default.

> which is why I was asking about xserver-xgl.
>
> My xorg log is at:
>
>    http://hank.org/Xorg.0.log
>
> But I'm wondering if this is not the problem:
>
> (EE) AIGLX error: dlsym for __driCreateNewScreen_20050727 failed (/usr/lib/dri/r300_dri.so: undefined symbol: __driCreateNewScreen_20050727)
> (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

You need a newer xserver.  AIGLX is not initializing and since compiz
uses GL via an indirect context, it will not work.  Once you get that
sorted out you should be able to start compiz as follows:

LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 compiz --indirect-rendering --replace

you can restart metacity like so once you kill compiz:
metacity &

> Which I assume might also be why I'm seeing slower glxgears number
> than I have in the past (2100fps vs over 400fps with fglrx).

gears in theory should work as long as it's direct rendering.  what
does glxinfo tell you?

Alex