[ltp] Only 3 out of 4 GB detected

Nathaniel Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 May 2008 02:47:51 -0700

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:41:20AM +0200, Marcus Better wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I replaced the RAM in my Thinkpad R60 with 2x2 GB modules (Corsair),
> but now only 3 GB show up in Linux and in Memtest86+ 2.01. What to do?
>
> Yes, I'm running an x86_64 kernel (2.6.25). The CPU is Intel Core 2 Duo.

If it's a *60 and you have the Intel integrated graphics, then there
is nothing you can do (except upgrade to a *61); there's a hardware
limitation in those machines that they can only address 3G of RAM.
(This is entirely separate from and in addition to the standard
32/64-bit cpu issues.)

-- Nathaniel

--
Electrons find their paths in subtle ways.