[ltp] Only 3 out of 4 GB detected

Cherife Li linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 31 May 2008 00:01:07 +0800

On 05/30/08 16:47, Stephan Groß wrote:
> On Freitag, 30. Mai 2008, Marcus Better wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I replaced the RAM in my Thinkpad R60 with 2x2 GB modules (Corsair), but
>> now only 3 GB show up in Linux and in Memtest86+ 2.01. What to do?
>>
>> Yes, I'm running an x86_64 kernel (2.6.25). The CPU is Intel Core 2 Duo.
>
> Please check your model number. AFAIK the 944* and 945* series only support up
> to 3 GB. Only the 946* series can be extended to 4 GB.

I'm afraid I can't agree with you. :-)
IIRC, 965 chipsets could support up to 8GB RAM from a pdf file from Intel.
My guess, 945 chipsets should support up to 4GB RAM. I haven't got an
945 machine, couldn't test it.
Could anybody have such a PC with 4GB RAM, kindly tell us the memory
shown in BIOS?
As on thinkpads, the memory support issue have something to do with the
BISO/Embedded_Controller version.
And, HIGHMEM support is the kernel issue.
Don't argue about the 32-bits and 64-bits. 32-bits arch do support PAE
with modern CPUs.

--
Rgds,
Cherife.