[ltp] Ubuntu 8.10 w/ T60p and FireGL 5250

Sun, 2 Nov 2008 18:25:48 -0400

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 09:47:55AM -0600, gervin23@fastmail.fm wrote:
>> I have the exact setup you do and 8.10 fixed all my video problems. Make
>> sure you start fresh by renaming /etc/X11/xorg.conf to something else as
>> backup. This lets the latest X do its auto-configure magic which in this
>> case chooses the open source radeon driver.
>
> Here's my report:
>
> I upgraded yesterday and all went smoothly.  Probably easiest upgrade
> ever on this laptop.
>
> For some reason the Network Manager applet didn't start, and I had
> seen on the Ubuntu user's list others with the same problem so it was
> not unexpected.  But, once I rebooted a second time the applet started
> fine.
>

> Video detection worked great, too.  Ubuntu offered to install
> the fglrx, but I declined.  Installing fglrx has not worked out for me
> in the past.
>
> Suspend to memory works.  Sometimes there are some screen artifacts
> after a resume but minor.
>
> Dual screen works great.  Ubuntu realized I didn't have a "Virtual"
> screen size to support the dual screens so it created an xorg.conf
> file with the settings and asked me to re-login.  Nice.
>
> Compiz seems to work well.  Again, when I enable with "Visual Effects"
> it will say I need the fglrx driver, but it works fine w/o that
> driver.  Even in dual screen mode (and the cube turns into an
> octagon).
>
> One problem with compiz enabled is I cannot play video in either
> Mplayer or Totem Movie Player.  Mplayer says:
>
>    X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)

Switch to EXA (Option "AccelMethod" "EXA" in the device section of
your config).  The problem is due to the fact that XAA does not work
well with composite.  XAA provides no method to migrate pixmaps back
to vram if they get swapped out and the pixmap has to be in vram to be
accessed by the texture engine at the moment.

Alex