[ltp] Ubuntu Intrepid: Thinkpad T61 with keyboard lockups.

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 23:23:25 +0000

Thomas Adam wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've an odd, and somewhat intermittent problem running Ubuntu Intrepid
> (kernel 2.6.27) in that the keyboard will stop responding after a
> while, but in an odd way.  None of the alphanumeric and special keys
> will do anything -- I can't get keyboard focus on any of my windows,
> and yet pressing CapsLock, NumLock, Fn + Fn keys all still work fine.
> The mouse too also works fine -- I can launch apps, just can't type
> anything into them.  The only way of curing it is to Ctrl + Alt + Bksp
> (which works fine) and relogin.

A possible fix might be to do Ctrl-Alt-R, Ctr-Alt-F1  to get to a VT1,
and then Ctrl-Alt-F7 to return to X. One of the consequences of a VT
switch is that X re-initialises the mouse and keyboard.

Alternatively, is there one misbehaving app which has maintained a
keyboard grab?  Try killing them off one at a time, and see when you get
your KB back.

Richard