[ltp] Ubuntu Intrepid: Thinkpad T61 with keyboard lockups.

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 2 Nov 2008 19:28:41 -0800

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 00:31:45 +0000
"Thomas Adam" <thomas.adam22@gmail.com> dijo:

> 2008/11/3 Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk>:
> > * On wakeup from screensaver, sometimes xscreensaver doesn't seem to release
> > the mouse pointer. I assumed that the de-activated process had failed to
> > release the mouse - though it's possible that it had just left the pointer
> > invisible.
>
> That issue's symptom was, IIRC, from any number of things.  ISTR
> reading about it, but since I don't like screensavers, it's never
> bitten me ("xtrlock" works just fine for me.)
>
> > Out of curiosity, does the swap-to-VT1;swap-to-Vt7 trick work?
>
> Alas, not.  Only restarting X11 seems to solve it.

I have no idea how any of this stuff works. But I do recall reading
somewhere on Ubuntu forums (or elsewhere, I can't remember) that
Intrepid uses a brand new way of configuring X so that most people no
longer need an xorg.conf file. Since I don't even know exactly what an
xorg.conf file does, I do not understand any of the details. But if the
keyboard and mouse need information from xorg.conf, my bet is that
something in the new way things are being done is not being done right.

I did run the Intrepid x86_64 live CD on my T61 and experienced no
problems with keyboard or mouse. But I didn't run it for long. Had I
run it longer I might have run into the same keyboard issue.