[ltp] Re: Anyone using Ubuntu 8.10 on X60s / X61s? (battery life)

Thomas Adam linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 3 Nov 2008 20:39:51 +0000

Hello --

2008/11/3 Christian Fromme <kaner@strace.org>:
> On 02.11. 17:21, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> > Debian Etch on X61s, kernel 2.6.26-1-686 uses around 11W with wireless
>> > on. SLES 10 on the same laptop needs a good bit more. YMMV.
>>
>> That seems pretty high compared to the X60s and X61t entries in
>> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Idle_consumptions.
>
> 11W was measured while working on the laptop with wireless on,
> brightness "normal" (Whatever that is). Processor is the L7700 with 1,8
> GHz.

Interesting.

I have a T61 (standard 4-cell battery) and took the liberty of
profiling some of the suggestions in this thread to my laptop, with
reference from powertop.  Having done that, I am now seeing 16.5
Watts, which purports an estimated battery life of 3.1 hours.  This
includes the same state as yours, Christian, just wireless, no
bluetooth.

I wonder if I can get it any lower.  Will see.  :)

-- Thomas Adam