[ltp] Re: [ibm-acpi-devel] Help needed to add support for the ThinkVantage (key) LED

Chris Jones linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:13:48 +0000

Hi

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> echo 0x0c 0x0d >/proc/acpi/ibm/ecdump   (should turn off thinkvantage led)
> echo 0x0c 0x8d >/proc/acpi/ibm/ecdump   (should turn on thinkvantage led)
> echo 0x0c 0xcd >/proc/acpi/ibm/ecdump   (should blink thinkvantage led)

> echo 0x0c ZZ >/proc/acpi/ibm/ecdump
>
> Where ZZ is:
> 0xFD, 0xBD, 0x3D, 0xED, 0xAD, 0x2D, 0xDD, 0x9D, 0x1D

so if 0d is off, 8d is on and cd is blink, and we know that 8d is a very
dim on, would it make sense for 9d, ad and bd to be the brightness options?
It seems kinda unlikely that there would be 9 settings for brightness,
but 4 seems much more reasonable. I think I'm brave enough to try them -
is there any precedent for what the controller is likely to do if I give
it a bogus value? (by which I mean, are these guys known for rejecting
stupid values, or will it try and pass 20 amps of current through the
LED if I ask it? ;)

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones