[ltp] ThinkPad Batteries

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 10 Nov 2008 09:18:01 -0800

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 06:34:01 -0500
"Lee Mathers (TCFS)" <Lee.Mathers@tcafs.org> dijo:

> 18 Lenovo T60 Thinkpad's 18 original batteries replaced as they
> completely failed all between 10-14mth's of use.  Of the 18 Replacement
> Batteries 11 of them have been RMA'd as they failed within 8mth's
>
> 32 Lenovo T61 Thinkpad more than 20 Original Batteries replaced and have
> the replacement batteries have already been RMA'd.

I guess I have been lucky. I bought my T61 from a local dealer two
years ago. The original standard battery is still fine. All I ever do
is "just use it." The battery is always inserted, but 95% of the time
the computer and battery are in a docking station at home. I use the
battery only when I go to school or a few other local places. I let it
run completely down once, but usually I shut down if it gets down to
20% or so. Most of the time it does not go down much lower than 50%
before I finish what I needed to do and return home.

Having said that, I get only about two hours out of the standard
battery that came with it. Part of the problem is that it has the
nVidia graphics, which I understand sucks a lot more power than the
other video options. But the main problem is that I can't do much of
anything to cut down the power drain - I use a bluetooth mouse, a USB
flash stick, and wireless - all constantly while on battery. However,
two hours is enough for my needs so I don't worry about it.

I don't know how much of the original capacity the battery has, but I
notice no change in the remaining time in the Gnome panel applet.

> So to avoid me anymore IT Service Desk calls(1) I'm looking for
> comment's or reviews of NON IBM Batteries.

In an effort to get longer time I bought a 9-cell (I think it was
9-cell) on eBay from someplace in China. I think I paid about $70. It
failed within a year. That is, it gives me less capacity now than the
original standard Lenovo battery. It sits in my locker at school with
whatever charge it can hold for use just in case I forget the power
brick and need more than two hours.