[ltp] Re: Re: Re: Reason for blocking Fn + F5

Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:48:01 -0200

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Marcus Better wrote:
> Kai Weber wrote:
> > It does not seem to be so easy. Removing the file as your bugreport
> > suggests disables Eject (Fn+F9) and some other keys on my T61.
>
> Then whatever is doing the eject could be fixed to react to the correct
> keys. Actually Fn+F9 does nothing on my system (Debian).

Well, sort of.  The correct key for eject is KEY_EJECTCD or
KEY_EJECTCLOSECD as far as I know.

If you guys want even better keyboard support in thinkpad-acpi, please fill
in all the tables on:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Table_of_ibm-acpi_LEDs

Either thinkpad-acpi or the HAL people should use it to map things to the
correct keys.

Now, of course, HAL *is* allowed to map eject to F24 *in a distro where F24
is programmed to eject stuff*.  However, doing it in HAL upstream is just
shoddy work.

> The fdi file maps F8 and F9 to KEY_F22 and KEY_F24. The driver has
> KEY_FN_F8 etc, which seems more logical.

Indeed. F22/F24 is just wrong anywhere upstream (it might be OK inside a
distro).  FN_F8 is always correct, but not necessarily the best.  At least
it is something proper to use for a generic keyboard remap utility to
trigger on later.

  Henrique Holschuh