[ltp] Please help remove battery SPAM on ThinkWiki

Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:08:12 -0200

People,

Along the years, lots of pages on thinkwiki have accumulated SPAM from
aftermarket battery vendors.

While some of us do try to clean it up when we notice it, the fact is that
some battery spam remains behind.  Then the next wiki-spam-happy battery
vendor comes along, maybe notices there ARE indeed a few links to their
competitors site in there, and spam the entire wiki in response.

Commercial links in thinkwiki are welcome only if they are extreme rare and
valuable things that are HARD to find, or have been added by Akw himself, or
if there is an agreement to help maintain thinkwiki.

I am just now slowly undoing the work done by one battery spammer that was a
lot more considerate, wiki-savy, and throughout than most.  At least the guy
would add section headers, and even remove crappier older SPAM from his
competitors :p  Too bad (AFAIK) he never contacted Akw about doing it
properly with some compensation for thinkwiki, I for one wouldn't have
minded if they had struck some sort of deal, since at least it was
technically-clean spam :-)   OTOH, he edited so many pages, that it will
make a big BLIP on Akw's backup run.

It would be nice if more people would help us scrub thinkwiki free of both
new and OLD battery spam.  As long as a single link remains, these guys keep
coming back... heck, I am pretty sure they will come even after it is
scrubbed clean, but at least we will be in a better position to send them
nastygrams.

Please help the maintenance of what has proven to be one of the most
valuable resources for the Linux thinkpad community.  We need more
volunteers that keep one eye on edits on that wiki.

PS: so far I have only seen spam in thinkwiki by laptop battery vendors.
Makes one really think about how trustful these people are, and whether
we should be taking our business to them when, doesn't it?

  Henrique Holschuh