[ltp] Intrepid and mousies on T61

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 10:05:31 -0800

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:26:49 +0000
"Daniel Castro" <castromd@tcd.ie> dijo:

> I also have a T61 but I'm still on Hardy 64bit. I have seen a lot of talking
> about keyboard and mouse problems all around.
> So I have decided to wait for a while before upgrading to 8.10, after all
> the only thing that call my attention about it is the looks, a bit more
> sleek, but that's it.
>
> I have loaded 8.10 64 bit with the live CD though and I didn't noticed this
> problem, maybe I didn't played around enough, or maybe after a fresh
> installation this problem won't happen. Did you do a fresh installation or
> an upgrade from 8.04?

> 2008/11/12 John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net>
>
> > I haven't upgraded my T61 from Hardy to Intrepid yet, but I do follow
> > the Ubuntu x86_64 forum daily. It seems there are half a dozen users
> > who have problems with their mousies - that is, they suddenly cannot
> > click although the pointer still moves. One of them has a T61. The
> > thread is located here:
> >
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=976473
> >
> > Has anyone else with a T61 upgraded to Intrepid. I'll be doing so soon,
> > so if there are any problems like this I'd like to know.

I haven't upgraded to Intrepid yet on my T61. Everything on Hardy
x86_64 is working OK except that my bluetooth mouse dies every couple
of days at random times. I can just reconnect it with the terminal,
though. It's not at all the same problem that people are reporting
where only the clicks stop working. I want to upgrade to Intrepid in
the hopes that it might fix my bluetooth mouse problem - there is a new
GUI for bluetooth, so maybe there is new code underneath as well. Plus
I like to keep up to date. But I am in no hurry.

I know so little about how all these things work it's scary. Thank God
for the Ubuntu forums and other net resources like this list. Without
the support I'd have thrown Linux CDs into the river a long time ago. I
should not be allowed to use Linux. :)

I just thought I'd start a thread about T61s and mouse problems under
Intrepid, since there are posts on the Ubuntu forums from T61 users.
Considering that several have reported that they tried PS2 mice, USB
mice, and bluetooth mice, all with the same problem, I suspect that
there is something wrong really deep inside Intrepid.