[ltp] Re: ThinkPad Batteries

Elias Oltmanns linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 00:00:59 +0100

"Daniel Castro" <castromd@tcd.ie> wrote:
[...]
> elias, you are the real thinkpad expert. what's you recommendation?

I'm not, Henrique is ;-). He has already chimed in on this thread. Also,
if you are interested, you can find other threads in the archives of
this list where he explained these things in more detail.

> my T61 is always at home sitting on the docking station, and i unplug
> the AC when not in use.

This will probably not work as expected. The settings configured through
tp_smapi are persistent if either the machine is not switched off (s2ram
is ok) or AC is plugged in. As soon as you shut the machine down and
unplug it from AC, the factory defaults will be reset and the battery
will be recharged the next time you plug in AC again.

> should i leave the battery on and configure it to be 30%-80% with this
> tp-smapi module or should i remove the battery (with ~60% charge) and
> store it. i'm not so concerned about power outage, it would be like a
> desktop without a ups....

If you frequently unplug the machine from AC without actually working on
it (e.g. to minimise over all power consumption or to protect against
voltage peaks due to thunderstorms) and you are not concerned about
power outages, I'd suggest you remove the battery. Otherwise, the
settings above should be about right.

Regards,

Elias