[ltp] Battery life T61 - hints/tips welcome

Michael Karcher linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 23:51:53 +0100

--=-Aurzr/WmLvw/8ehhIC8k

Am Mittwoch, den 12.11.2008, 22:36 +0000 schrieb Thomas Adam:
> Given the recent thread this month about battery saving advice, I took
> some of that information away with me, and decided to give it a go
> myself for my T61.  Unfortunately, whether it is just me or not, but
> none of what I am trying is seeming to make any difference whatsoever
> -- my battery life is still under two hours regardless of any
> suggestions I might have tried.
[...]
> Note that dispite running this script, my wattage is still high -- at
> around 18 or so.
If you are on nvidia graphics you should take a look at your graphics
chip power consumption. The closed-source nvidia X driver contains power
management (see http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/NVidia_Quadro_NVS_140m ),
but If you are measuring on the text console without having X started
after reboot, the chip might be on full clock speed (The much older
Quadro FX Go700/GeForce FX Go5650 in a DELL Inspiron 8600 is initialized
that way by the video BIOS!), which would consume a lot of power. I
don't know about the power management capabilities of the open-source nv
or noveau drivers.

Maybe nvclock is worth a look.

Regards,
  Michael Karcher