[ltp] Re: ThinkPad Batteries

Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:10:37 -0200

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Elias Oltmanns wrote:
> >> This will probably not work as expected. The settings configured through
> >> tp_smapi are persistent if either the machine is not switched off (s2ram
> >> is ok) or AC is plugged in. As soon as you shut the machine down and
> >> unplug it from AC, the factory defaults will be reset and the battery
> >> will be recharged the next time you plug in AC again.
> >
> > That is not true. The settings are stored on the battery afaik since turning
> > off doesn't cause any problem. Not sure though about taking the battery out
> > when the machine is off, need to check that one.

Nothing is stored in the battery.

> Well, it is true for my machine (X40). I wasn't aware that there are
> differences in this respect from one model to another. But then, it
> doesn't necessarily suprise me.

Correct.  Since somewhere in the middle of the *60 line, Lenovo stopped
rebooting the EC or changed something in the way they did it.  Unless you
remove ALL power from the ThinkPad, EC parameters are kept across reboots
and shutdowns...

So, if you REALLY need to reboot the EC to a clean state in a Lenovo
thinkpad, you may find yourself forced to remove AC, remove all battery
packs, and maybe even do the "press the power button for 3s, at least 10
times, then press it for 12s one last time" dance.

  Henrique Holschuh