[ltp] thinkpad_ec fails to load on Thinkpad T500

Tue, 18 Nov 2008 09:41:24 -0200

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Shem Multinymous wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 10:45 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
> > <hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote:
> > >
> > > The BIOS is claiming the IO ports for itself.  It shouldn't, unless it is
> > > going to use them (which, AFAIK, it does NOT) and doesn't want any drivers
> > > touching it.
> > >
> > > I will ask Lenovo to drop the 0x1600-0x161f range from the ACPI port
> > > reservation table.  If they do, fine (and you will have to update your BIOS
> > > for thinkpad_ec to work).  If they don't, we will need to add a quirk to
> > > unreserve that range by force.
> >
> > Any progress with that, or suggestions for implementing the quirk?
>
> None, because I simply could not figure out what is exactly happening (!).
>
> I don't want to bother Lenovo if I am not sure that I am asking them to do the
> right thing...

Please, the two people with the T500 and T400 that have the issue:  Open a
bug in bugzilla.kernel.org (whomever does it first, please send the bug
number here so that others will file extra information on the same bug
report).

It is important to attach to the bug report the dmidecode output, the
acpidump output, and the kernel log (full, since boot).  That way, the
people responsible for PCI/ACPI/PnP resource reservation can have a look at
it, and tell us how we should fix out-of-tree HDAPS and tp_smapi.

If *they* say it is a BIOS bug, I can be confident enough of it to report it
as such to Lenovo and request a fix.

  Henrique Holschuh