[ltp] acpi-cpufreq with phc-controls

Roman Haefeli linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 00:07:47 +0100

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 07:57 +0100, Tino Keitel wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 00:40:32 +0100, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> > hi all
> >
> > i am on a T61 wih ubuntu intrepid installed and i would like to
> > undervolt my cpu in order to save battery power.
> >
> > on hardy everything worked quite straightforward. i downloaded the
> > linux sources (matching my kernel), patched the acpi-cpufreq with the
> > linux-phc patch and compiled the module. now, in intrepid, the build
> > process seems to work fine as well, but when i try to insert the
> > module i get:
> >
> > FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq
> > (/lib/modules/2.6.27-3-rt/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko): Invalid module format
> >
> > after doing that, dmest shows:
> >
> > [  333.046333] acpi_cpufreq: no symbol version for struct_module
>
> The .config you used to compile this module doesn't match the .config
> the kernel was compiled with.

thanks for your response.

it turned out, that the config was ok. i copied it
from /boot/config-$(uname -r), as told in the howto.

the problem was a different one:
during compilation, there was a warning about a missing Module.symvers
file and ignored it because the howto clearly stated, that it should be
ignored. anyway, later on, i found a proper Module.symvers
in /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r), so i made a symlink from the
linux sources to it and then i compiled the module again. then it loaded
fine.

roman