[ltp] ThinkPad R61 NF5DEGE

Fabian Henze linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:20:09 +0100

On 20.11.2008 at 13:30:57, Michael Meese wrote:
> Hello List!
>
> After my ThinkPad SL500 disaster, I searched a new ThinkPad for me. Now
> I found the ThinkPad R61 NF5DEGE.
>
> What are your opinion/experiences on this Modell and Linux/Ubuntu?
>
> Thank you for your advice!

Hi Michael,
I have a Thinkpad R61 8919-6VG with
 - NVidia Card
 - T7300 (2 GHz)
 - 4 GB RAM (previously 1 GB)
 - 200 GB 7k2 upm hitachi hdd (upgraded from 120GB)
 - no webcam
 - 9 cell battery

Almost everything works perfectly (suspend2ram, hdaps, all function keys,
ultrabay hotplug, cardreader, bluetooth, wifi, ...) but there are some annoying
points too, like the nvidia graphics card ... I strongly disrecommend this
card, as the nvidia drivers are a pain-in-the-ass(tm), especially on
notebooks. If I would buy a new notebook today I would either buy a T61 with
intel or a T500 with ati graphics.
What I have not tested:
 - Firewire (but I guess it works)
 - suspend2disk (don't need it)
 - the touchpad (I use the trackpoint)
 - fingerprint reader (It seems to work but I don't use it regulary)

Also note that the power consumtion is usually very high. While writing this
mail with full brightness and wifi on it consumes ~22W. My old T40 would
consume about 15W. However this might be due to the nvidia card ...

-- Fabian