[ltp] booting from sd card

Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:51:08 +0000

Hendrik-Jan Heins wrote:
> No, chain loading also doesn't seem to work.
>
> For some reason it looks like the whole device is not being
> initialised until after a complete system start.
> I still think this is strange: how can it be that USB is actually
> being initialised on boot, except for this port! How different is an
> external card reader from the internal device? It alsmost seems like a
> deliberate blocking.

I don't think this is deliberate. I suspect it's just a BIOS bug: the
BIOS authors probably just never considered that anyody would ever want
to boot from SD, so didn't include the feature. You could try making a
bug report to IBM.

Incidentally, I suspect that the hardware doesn't connect the internal
SD/CF reader as a USB device. Once booted into Linux via another means,
does the internal reader show up in lsusb?

May I ask why you particularly want to boot from SD?

Richard