[ltp] booting from sd card

Tue, 25 Nov 2008 22:17:36 +0000

> It is not a USB device. It is listed with lspci:
> 05:00.2 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro
> Host Adapter (rev 21)
> driven by the sdhci module
>
> (X61s 7666-36G)
>
> I tried chainloading a while ago, putting the relevant modules in the
> initrd, but did not have sucess. I installed grub into this device from
> another computer, because of the ubuntu grub installer could not handle
> this device (wasn`t /dev/sd[a..z]).
>
> I think to implement boot possibility is more difficult for the bios
> developers.
>
> Peter

I suspect that this isn't going to work then! At any rate, I'm afraid
it's beyond my ability to advise, though perhaps one of our gurus may
have a suggestion.

Just stepping back a moment, what's the advantage of booting from SD?
Some possible other options:
   Boot from SD, but in a USB reader
   Boot from USB key
   Boot over the network. (etherboot/GPXE)
   Put a small CF card in an adapter; replace the HDD with it.

Best wishes,

Richard