[ltp] Re: ThinkPad Batteries

Phil Shotton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 Nov 2008 15:52:06 +0000

# lsmod | grep tp_smapi
[ nothing ]

# modprobe tp_smapi
# lsmod | grep tp_smapi
tp_smapi               29712  0
thinkpad_ec            14736  1 tp_smapi

However:
# /etc/init.d/hdapsd start
 * Not starting hdapsd: /sys/block/sda/queue/protect does not exist,
please read /usr/share/doc/hdapsd/README.Debian

The document says:
hdapsd needs the hdaps kernel module and the hdaps_protect patch in the
kernel
so it WON'T work out-of-the-box on a Debian machine yet.

but I thought the whole point of the distro module was that the kernel
didn't need patching, or have I completely misunderstood?

Re: Please try to keep in mind that top-posting is not very popular.

On the contrary, everyone I know hates bottom-posting because you have
to wade through the whole trail before you actually find the new post to
decide whether it's worth reading or not. YMMV.

Cheers
Phil