[ltp] Re: ThinkPad Batteries

Micha Feigin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Nov 2008 10:31:24 +0200

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 19:19:44 +0100
Elias Oltmanns <eo@nebensachen.de> wrote:

> Phil Shotton <phil@stairbridge.org.uk> wrote:
> > Micha Feigin wrote:
> >> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 15:52:06 +0000
> >> Phil Shotton <phil@stairbridge.org.uk> wrote:
> [...]
> >>>

> >> You misunderstand. A module adds a kernel feature. A patch changes a kernel
> >> feature, in this case another module or compiled in option.
> >>
> >> The patch is actually a bit hard to come by and if I'm not mistaken has
> >> been included in the 2.6.28 kernel, but with a different /sys name so it's
> >> going to take some time for debian to reach kernel 2.6.28 (it's only at
> >> release candidate stage of a couple of months or so now) and then some
> >> time for the tools to fix the directory that they are looking for, so
> >> unless you want to
>
> hdapsd in unstable already knows about the new directory. Otherwise,
> it's all correct.

Thats new and recent, great to know. It has been broken for me for some time
now, at last it's working again. Still I'm guessing it's going to take debian
some time ot reach kernel 2.6.28 as it's not out yet and from experience, even
when it's out it takes time to adopt it for mainline (and rightly so for most
people, I just like to live on the edge for some convoluted reason)

As for the patch, if you decide you want to compile your own kernel (not that
hard, especially if you don't plan to change the debian default options), you
can get it at
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/HDAPS