[ltp] X61 power consumption

Asheesh Laroia linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 Nov 2008 01:42:19 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008, Leszek Koltunski wrote:

>> That would be rather difficult, as in order to measure the power, you
>> have to measure current and that means cutting the power connection to
>> the chip, to insert the meter in series.  Now if you wish to volunteer
>> your ThinkPad to be butchered...
>
> Oh, come on, I am not an electrical engineer, but I am sure it's
> possible to do that in a non-invasive way, for example doing precise
> thermal imaging of the mainboard.
>
> It seems to me such hardware-level measurements would be very
> enlightening...

And indeed, if someone wants to do this and has experience and know-how
but lacks some hardware (possibly just lacking a ThinkPad to test), I
could possibly be inclined to put money toward buying it....

-- Asheesh.

--
Sometimes I wonder if I'm in my right mind.  Then it passes off and I'm
as intelligent as ever.