[ltp] X61 power consumption

Fri, 28 Nov 2008 07:13:39 +0000

Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2008, Leszek Koltunski wrote:
>
>>> That would be rather difficult, as in order to measure the power, you
>>> have to measure current and that means cutting the power connection
>>> to the chip, to insert the meter in series.  Now if you wish to
>>> volunteer your ThinkPad to be butchered...
>>
>> Oh, come on, I am not an electrical engineer, but I am sure it's
>> possible to do that in a non-invasive way, for example doing precise
>> thermal imaging of the mainboard.
>>
>> It seems to me such hardware-level measurements would be very
>> enlightening...
>
> And indeed, if someone wants to do this and has experience and know-how
> but lacks some hardware (possibly just lacking a ThinkPad to test), I
> could possibly be inclined to put money toward buying it....

Having thought about this a bit more, I reckon the equipment could be
obtained for about $25. 3 cheap digital voltmeters, an op-amp, some
resistors and batteries should be enough. [If someone wants to do the
experiment, I'll write a longer post.]

That would let one measure the power consumption of a given chip to
within < 10% accuracy, in a calibrated manner (provided that the PCB
traces carrying the current can be acccessed - which isn't necessarily
true for BGA chips).

Richard