[ltp] Re: X61 power consumption

Volker Krueger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 29 Nov 2008 17:58:11 +0100

Hi,

I have also invested quite a bit into trying to maximize the battery time.
I have an X41 which is supposedly the older and thus power-wise less
optimized machine.
Also, I hear that the X61 runs under windows with a 6cell battery up to 8 h.
If I remember correctly, the X41 runs with the 6cell battery up to 6h.

Under linux, I manage to get the consumption down to 7.7 W (long-term)
according powertop.
For this, I switch of xlg and use the old x-server. Sound, ipw2100,
e1000, and usb is turned off. The brightness of the monitor is lowest
possible (but not off :-))

I am running Suse 11.0, thinkpad-acpi and the powertool.rpm which
controls the switches off of the HD.

with all modules loaded and xgl/compiz running (i.e. out of the box) but
with low monitor illumination, the laptop need around 9W.

best,
Volker

--
Dr. Ing. Volker Krüger