[ltp] Fan running constantly

Wed, 1 Oct 2008 19:24:40 -0300

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008, Philipp Kern wrote:
> my Thinkpad fan got recently replaced and was very quiet afterwards.  In the
> meantime I upgraded kernels (but I'm not able to pinpoint it to that) and now
> the fans are humming pretty constantly.
>
> asterix:/proc/acpi/ibm# cat thermal fan
> temperatures:	40 36 26 46 34 -128 30 -128 34 45 44 -128 -128 -128 -128 -128
> status:		enabled
> speed:		3081
> level:		auto

As usual, please provide us with the full thinkpad model and BIOS/EC
version, otherwise we can't very well comment on the values you get, can we?

It does look like a T43 or R52, though.  If it is, the fan is at the usual
speed.

> with the new that's gone.  Previously I also ran tp-fancontrol but as I

tp-fancontrol would certainly be able to run the fan at a lower level than
what the EC thinks is advised...

> currently lack thinkpad_acpi (or is that tp_smapi?) debugging support with the
> Debian kernel and with the fixed fan it's deactivated.  Now the speed is in

Hmm?  I am unaware of any problems with thinkpad-acpi in Debian's 2.6.2x
kernels, all you need is to give it fan_control=1 as a module parameter to
have fan control.  If it is a new enough thinkpad-acpi, you will even have
it available through lm-sensors (hwmon) as well as over /proc/acpi/ibm/fan.

> general just a tad too high for a laptop without any load...  Any ideas?

To me it looks like it is working the way IBM/Lenovo wants it to.  If you
disagree, you will have to use tp-fancontrol again.   Or enhance its cooling
a lot.

  Henrique Holschuh