[ltp] X60 overheating, temperatures at full speed

Thu, 2 Oct 2008 10:08:13 -0300

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> manually crank up the fan speed when necessary.  If you are brave, you
> could install a fan speed control program.  (See
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Fan_control_scripts for more information.)

As long as you make it so that it always spin the fan FASTER than what the
EC would, and the script makes use of the fan watchdog in thinkpad-acpi, it
should be quite safe.

That reminds me I have some TODO in thinkpad-acpi I should be looking at...

In fact, I asked Lenovo to add fan profiles to the BIOS when they complained
that we did userspace fan-control.  And no, I did NOT ask for "more silent"
profiles, these require better fan hardware that is more silent, or better
heat sinks... so I asked for a fan without pulses instead ;-)

I asked for two new profiles, one for "run the fan faster" (basically,
increase the current level the EC would set to the next step that actually
changes the fan speed), and one for "run it much faster, and that includes
revving up its top speed" (i.e. increase level 7 RPM to close of what the
fan can really do).

OTOH, second fan support will not come to thinkpad-acpi unless someone that
has two fans starts doing reverse engineering, and send me his findings.
I'd try poking at the unused bits in HFSP, one of them might be a "select
which fan to operate on", or even "second fan level".  However, if you are
going to do that, please first hunt for a second tachometer in the EC space,
thinkpad-acpi EC dump can make it quite easy to spot.   The tachometer is
ALWAYS a very nice thing to add, and it is safe (unlike fan control).

  Henrique Holschuh