[ltp] One battery or two? (rant warning)

Sun, 5 Oct 2008 19:13:04 -0700

I don't think that this is really OT but I want to post
it here because laptop users tend to know much more
batteries that the average person.
If any of you do think it's OT I apologize.

Did any of you watch "60 minutes". the bit about
electric cars.

It was stated that a small two-seater used 6000 laptop
batteries.
Now I pay $8.00 each for those so even at 50% of that
it's $24000.00  to replace the batteries and that's for about
500 charge/discharge cycles or not much over a year.
The batteries that I buy are rated for a three-year life
if only subject to light usage.
So eight grand or so a year if you just drive it to church
on Sundays.
Battery cost and life item was not mentioned in the story.
Now am I waaaaaaaaaaay off base or is our
wonderful news media trying to sell us yet another load of crap.

If you read this, thanks and please comment.
If you agree, please send it on.
Thanks,
   Bert