[ltp] Re: intel driver problems in 2.6.27

Aurimas FiĊĦeras linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 06 Oct 2008 16:15:51 +0300

Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 11:50:44AM +0200, Christoph Lechleitner wrote:
>> Yves-Alexis Perez schrieb:
>>> http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/10/1/368
>>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=4a7703582836f55a1cbad0e2c1c6ebbee3f9b3a7
>> In at least one reported case, other hardware than the LAN card has been
>> damaged.
>
> Could you give me pointer on this reported case? It's sure creepy.

I'd like to know it too, as I sometimes (3 times in total) have a crash
while booting 2.6.27 kernel, which results in randomly flickering screen
(got a photo) and a hard freeze.

After that crash I have to remove the battery from my Thinkpad T61 (i965
video and 1Gbit Intel LAN), because only after this it turns on and
boots normally.

Twice before this boot crash I had X server crashed (with random colored
stripes all over the screen) while switching video in vlc to full
screen, so I think it is video related.

I'm afraid it is somehow related to eeprom corruption, because I get
(WW) intel(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum
in my Xorg log file, which wasn't a case several months ago.