[ltp] One battery or two?

Mon, 6 Oct 2008 22:42:43 +0200

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 16:23:04 +0200, Michael Gaber wrote:
> > [...]
> > And when I use it, I try to use it in a way that
> > implies at least charge cycles as possible.
> >
> If my undestanding is correct (as the apple page told me once) a charge
> cycle is a full charge of 100% capacity, so if you use your battery from

AFAIK this is not correct. The battery is stressed mostly during the
last few % of the charge cycle, until it reaches 100%. So it doesn't
matter if you charge from 10% to 100% or from 70% to 100% (or, at least
charging from 70% to 100% isn't only one third of the harm than
charging from 10% to 100%). That's also the background of Henrique's
hint to avoid the last 5% of a charge cycle, and to set
stop_charge_thresh to 95 or lower.

I used a T23 a while ago. I always tried to keep the number of charge
cycles low, which worked well regarding the remaining battery capacity.
Then I started to travel by train, with unreliable power sockets so I
had to keep the battery plugged in. The short power outages lead to a
few % of power drain, resulting in at least one charge cycle per trip.
The T23 doesn't support the TP SMAPI settings, so I couldn't do
anything about it. After a few weeks, the capacity of the battery was
reduced by nearly one third, and reduced further after each trip.

Regards,
Tino