[ltp] Thinkpad X300 Debian Lenny report

Norman Ramsey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:44:02 -0400

 > >   * tpb brightness buttons do not work...
 >
 > On my X61s, thinkpad-acpi is able to send input events for the
 > brightness keys, so that you can bind those keys to the corresponding
 > xbacklight command in you desktop environment/window manager...

Brilliant.  My X300 reports the same keycodes as your X61s.
I'm in business.  Thanks very much!

 > >   * I haven't been able to get any of the various fan-control regimes
 > >     to work.  The fan spins consistently at 5000 RPM and is loud.
 >
 > Eeek. Sounds like the situation got even worse compared to the X61s.
 > This seems to suffer from bad thermal design: even when noise doesn't
 > matter and I set the fan to run at full speed, it will just blow out
 > cold air whereas the right front part of the device gets somewhat warm
 > (no UMTS, fingerprint reader, wireless LAN and bluetooth disabled, only
 > light CPU load). Do you notice the same with the X300?

Not quite.  Mine's dumping quite a bit of heat through the removable
panel that covers the wireless cards, memory, and who knows what else.

I did notice today that fan was quieter, running around 2000 RPM, then
something got quite hot (51C) and then fan spun up to 5200 RPM and
stayed there.  But mad temp has dropped to 44C and the fan is still
hard at it, and blowing fairly cool.

Thanks again for the xmodmap tip!

Norman