[ltp] Any reason why the recommended hotkey mask is 0x008c7fff on X60s

Damjan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 17 Oct 2008 19:40:02 +0200

> > With that mask, I don't get any events (ACPI or input) when the
> > volume-up/down/mute buttons are pressed.
>
> Because those keys are routed over the KDC (keyboard controler).  You don't
> get them over ACPI, no matter what you do.  And if you are going to enable
> thinkpad-acpi NVRAM pooling to get them, well, you're weird.

You are saying that putting 0x00ffffff in the hotkey mask will enable
NVRAM pooling?

> Look on thinkwiki or on the list archives for information on how to use
> these keys.

I will, although not sure where exactly

> And use the latest BIOS for your X60s.

this is a bit of pain

> > The problem with that setup is that user-space gets no notificaion
> > what-so-ever so to display an OSD or to notify the person using the
> > laptop.
>
> Why the heck would you need OSD for the *thinklight*?  It has its own user
> feedback built-in.  It lights up when you enable it, and goes dark when you
> disable it, after all...

well that was not my main concern, but if te light is burned out, I'd
like to know it's not actually the button that is the problem :)

> As for the others: OSD for brightness is to be done by querying the proper
> backlight control layers.

which one would it be in the "PerfectSetup™"?

> OSD for volume is to be done by querying the ALSA mixers.

On my X60s, the volume is only reported by /proc/acpi/ibm/volume, and
not in any (Master or PCM) Alsa mixer. it's a completelly separate mixer.

--
damjan | дамјан
This is my jabber ID -->         damjan@bagra.net.mk