[ltp] Any reason why the recommended hotkey mask is 0x008c7fff on X60s

Sat, 18 Oct 2008 04:20:49 +0100

> The reason why volume key reporting is not enabled by default in ANY
> thinkpad is because they really would work only as an OSD hint, but people
> in userspace started doing deranged things like route them to active
> KEY_VOLUME_UP, KEY_VOLUME_DOWN.  That caused mixers to change the AC97
> volume, while the firmware would *ALSO* change the speaker volume.  You can
> guess how *nicely* fuckup-shaped the dynamic response curve of the volume
> control gets when you do that, no?

Insane though it may seem, I actually have a use for almost this very
thing. I purchased an old X20 as a silent (boot off CF card/IDE adapter)
media centre. I use an external USB sound card, for much improved
quality (and reduced interference between CPU <-> audio). So I want to
connect the inbuilt volume keys with the USB card's mixer (/dev/dsp1),
and the OSD.

Richard