[ltp] (fwd): Help for those who got their e1000 corrupted

umesh b linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 19 Oct 2008 08:28:31 +0000

------=_Part_105714_9310574.1224404911813

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@hmh.eng.br
> wrote:

> Since it DOES apply to some ThinkPads, and ThinkPad users are the sort of
> crowd who do run -rc kernels...
>
> The MAC is written in a label somewhere in the ThinkPad.
>
> The NVM copy and PCI ID information you can ask here from someone that has
> the same ThinkPad (remember: you have to supply also the full model number,
> and you should use an NVM from the closest machine you can.  Don't use one
> from the X60s on the X60, or one from an old-model T60 with the new-model
> T60...).
>
> --
>  "One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring
>  them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond
>  where the shadows lie." -- The Silicon Valley Tarot
>   Henrique Holschuh

this issue wih 2.6.27. Laptop was a R61.
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/10/18/88

Regards
Umesh

------=_Part_105714_9310574.1224404911813

Since it DOES apply to some ThinkPads, and ThinkPad users are the sort of<br>
crowd who do run -rc kernels...<br>
The MAC is written in a label somewhere in the ThinkPad.<br>
The NVM copy and PCI ID information you can ask here from someone that has<br>
the same ThinkPad (remember: you have to supply also the full model number,<br>
and you should use an NVM from the closest machine you can. &nbsp;Don&#39;t use one<br>
from the X60s on the X60, or one from an old-model T60 with the new-model<br>
T60...).<br>
--<br>
 &nbsp;&quot;One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring<br>
 &nbsp;them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond<br>
 &nbsp;where the shadows lie.&quot; -- The Silicon Valley Tarot<br>

so after this ugly bug is finally fixed, here maybe left some victims of<br>
this bug.<br>
If here is still sombody who need help to recover from this issue,<br>
I can probably help him, I successful recovered all machines on our side,<br>
even one which do not longer show the NIC via lspci, so the only restiction<br>
is, that the machine still boots and we have a NVM image of a similar<br>
machine.<br>
You should know the PCI ids of the NIC from the time before it crashed and<br>
the MAC address.<br>
--<br>

------=_Part_105714_9310574.1224404911813--