[ltp] Upcoming changes to thinkpad-acpi (your chance to comment on them)

Sun, 19 Oct 2008 14:41:25 -0200

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008, Jens Rutschmann wrote:
>> 3. Preserve rfkill state of *some* radios across shutdown.  This is valid
>> for bluetooth, and might just work for WWAN too.  If you turn the thinkpad
>> off with the radio working, it will boot with the radio working.  If you
>> turn the thinkpad off with the radio disabled, it will boot with the radio
>> disabled. (done, needs testing, will be pushed out soon)
>
> Does this also mean that bluetooth won't be switched on by default when
> bluetooth_enable sysfs interface previously ?

Correct.  And if it doesn't do just that, let me know :-)

I will see if I can manage to push a new thinkpad-acpi release today or
tomorrow, with the above.

> I always thought that rfkill stuff was all about the little hardware
> sliding switch at the left front side of the thinkpads.

Read Documentation/rfkill.txt after you patch in the new thinkpad-acpi (it
has an almost full rfkill backport from wireless-testing built-in :p) to get
a better idea of how complex rfkill is.  rfkill (kernel) is about
*everything* in the path from an input event to making sure a wireless
transmitter is not emitting energy.  The part that looks at an input device
(the small switch) is actually just an input driver.  And there is also
rfkill-input, which is an input handler that has intimate knowledge of how
input events related to rfkill should be handled, and does just that.

Thinkpad-acpi is a mixed driver: it has an input driver for the switch and
hotkeys, and rfkill drivers for bluetooth, UWB and W-WAN.

> Sorry if I'm confusing something here ...

A quick look at linux-wireless will prove to you that so far, NOBODY has
managed to NOT be confused by rfkill, me and its maintainer included.

  Henrique Holschuh