[ltp] Re: [ibm-acpi-devel] Upcoming changes to thinkpad-acpi (your chance to comment on them)

Matthew Garrett linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 19 Oct 2008 04:58:30 +0100

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 11:34:57AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> Thanks to some official help, the driver will know when your thinkpad is
> about to melt down or go out of juice, and will warn you accordingly through
> syslog and an ACPI event (that HAL can trap and do something with).

Mm. Register a generic thermal class device and then generate a uevent?
It'd be nice to do this in a generic "something has just gone wrong"
way, which we could then also do for critical notifications in ACPI
thermal zones.

> Again, thanks to that unnamed official help!  I am still not sure what I can
> do besides logging an alarm and issuing an ACPI event... and I really want
> to do something, as it is doubtful there will be anyone around to listen to
> the kernel cries if the machine woke up almost out-of-battery.

We need decent infrastructure for exposing the reason for the wakeup -
ACPI can also provide this under various circumstances, but right now we
don't seem to do anything terribly useful with it. What will basically
happen now is that the machine will wake up, userspace will (with luck)
notice that the power is critical and either do a hibernation or clean
shutdown. The wakeup event is bonus information.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org