[ltp] Any reason why the recommended hotkey mask is 0x008c7fff on X60s

Damjan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:51:51 +0200

> The reason why volume key reporting is not enabled by default in ANY
> thinkpad is because they really would work only as an OSD hint, but people
> in userspace started doing deranged things like route them to active
> KEY_VOLUME_UP, KEY_VOLUME_DOWN.  That caused mixers to change the AC97
> volume, while the firmware would *ALSO* change the speaker volume.  You can
> guess how *nicely* fuckup-shaped the dynamic response curve of the volume
> control gets when you do that, no?

I understand this but ...

> And that is not even supposed to matter on a X60, since
> /proc/acpi/ibm/volume is not supposed to be able to control the volume in a
> X60/X60s.

I repeat once more, on mine X60s [model no. 1704-5UG, bios 7BETD2WW
(2.13 )] the volume keys definitelly control a separate mixer than all
the ALSA mixers, and also /proc/acpi/ibm/volume DOES control the volume.

Latest BIOS for this X60s is 2.17, the changelog doesn't offer much
incentives for updating though :)
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/7buj26uc.txt

> > > As for the others: OSD for brightness is to be done by querying the proper
> > > backlight control layers.
> >
> > which one would it be in the "PerfectSetup???"?
>
> Hah, tough one.
> HAL about the current brightness.

Ok, I checked again. HAL does report the brightness change, and the
value. It's getting this info by listening to ACPI events, through the
standard video acpi module - so that works. Previously I was wrongly
reading HAL output and I thought I need to enable the hotkey mask for
the brightness buttons.

So only the volume keys are my concern now.

> > > OSD for volume is to be done by querying the ALSA mixers.
> >
> > On my X60s, the volume is only reported by /proc/acpi/ibm/volume, and
> > not in any (Master or PCM) Alsa mixer. it's a completelly separate mixer.
>
> The X60s has the good old internal thinkpad mixer?  That's news to me.  If
> changing /proc/acpi/ibm/volume in *single user mode* changes the volume on
> the speakers, then yes, it does.  I would appreciate if you could confirm
> this.   And still I'd only act on it if someone with an up-to-date BIOS
> confirms it.

Yes, this X60s *DOES* have the good old internal thinkpad mixer!
yes, in single user mode it does change the volume.

--
damjan | дамјан
This is my jabber ID -->         damjan@bagra.net.mk