[ltp] e1000 use causes random machine lockups on T60p

Christoph Lechleitner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:46:19 +0200

Brad Langhorst schrieb:
> I now have 5 days (count em) 5 days of uptime...
>
> It took me forever to figure out what was causing these random lockups.
> tried USB, video drivers, heat issues, swapping memory, not using
> sound...
> Finally switched to using wifi instead of wired ethernet and I've been
> lockup free for quite a while...
>
> I still don't know if it's hardware or software yet.
>
> I'm using ubuntu hardy 8.04.1
>
> With the standard kernel
> 2.6.24-21-generic
>
> I'll try intrepid soon, but I wonder if anybody else had the same issue?

Kernels 2.6.20 to at least .24 have some timing dependand deadlock
problem, which causes certain machines with certain environments to
crash "reliable".

One machine crashes with high LAN traffic (my x335 1U servers), the next
when using WLAN when running on battery (my T61p), the other with GSM
connections (a friend's Dell), the only thing the situations seem to
have in common are 2 cores and network traffic ...
The problem has never been found conclusively, but it seems to have been
fixed at some point towards 2.6.27.

Intrepid brings a few new things and drops some others (e.g. KDE 3), but
so far my T61p and my Athlon64x2 home PC "like" it better than hardy who
fails to prove LTS quality.
(There are plans to make it easy to integrate new kernels in "old"
Ubuntus from hardy on, and we might see brand new kernel packages for
"old" Ubuntus regularily in the future. I hope this leads to some solutions)

Regards Christoph