[ltp] X200 Battery Life

John Li linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:08:42 -0400

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 03:42:08PM -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 22:12:34 +0100
> Tino Keitel <tino.keitel@tikei.de> dijo:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 01:03:55 +1030, Andrew Mason wrote:
>
> > > Pretty fantastic laptop, I'm very happy with it but would like around
> > > 2 1/2 hours if i can get it.
> >
> > Just try to eliminate the usual suspects:
> >
> > - disable USB (unload ehci_hcd and uhci_hcd)
> >
> > - disable wireless LAN
> >
> > - disable bluetooth
> >
> > - dim the display
> >
> > - stop sucking applications like firefox
>
> I have to laugh. The first problem is that the display will be too dim
> to read. But that won't really matter because I will have turned off
> everything that makes the computer usable.
>
> I don't mean to disparage what you say, because it is good to have a
> list of culprits. It's just that for a lot of people (like me) it is
> unrealistic. My mouse is bluetooth,

But you have a trackpoint! ;)

> I need my USB flash drive,

I don't know if USB is such a big deal still, if you enable the
autosuspend. Still, if you don't /constantly/ need the drive plugged
in, a script for loading/unloading USB modules is pretty short.

> I need to get on the net and mostly the only way to do so is with
> wireless, and my favorite browser is Firefox.

I believe Firefox has gotten better recently, because of powertop. If
you have wifi enabled, the driver waking up every 100ms to process the
AP beacons outweighs Firefox by quite a bit, at least on my system.

jli